Friday, July 1, 2011

Here's the skinny....

Ok, so it's been two years sense I've blogged. I'm horrible at this! And I'm especially horrible at social media.

I think about this blog a lot. I think of things I want to write or pictures I want to post. The same goes for facebook and twitter. I think about them a lot but never really do anything about it.

My friend Sara has an awesome blog and she's recommended a few for me to follow. I really enjoy them and have high hopes of joining the social media train again.

We'll see how this goes....

I now work at Grace Orlando. It's a portable church that meets at Edgewater High School. I've been working there for the past 6 months and I love it!!! Although, it did take me a while.

I had no intentions of leaving First Christian. I loved the church and the people. Although I felt a spirit of discontent. I felt like God was trying to tell me something and I couldn't hear him. I eventually took a week off of work and went on a "spiritual retreat." I spent the whole week in prayer and reading my Bible-- asking God to reveal his plan for my life. When I came back, I received several job offers.

I accepted the job at Grace Orlando, and I must say it is the hardest decision I've ever had to make. I didn't want to leave the relationships I had a FCCO. I turned down several jobs to work with and for some really good friends and spiritual mentors. I knew God was calling me to Grace.

When you follow God's calling, you think everything is going to be easy. That everything will fall into place and rainbows and unicorns will follow you everywhere you go. This did not happen at Grace. I felt like I walked into a tornado. Before I even had a chance to learn people's names, the church decided to change locations and I had three months to get everything ready and train my team.

It was a super crazy time and I must admit, I am not proud of how I acted or what came out of me when I was bumped. I really do think God brought me here to break me. I was on a high horse and he knocked me down. I had learned to be dependent on myself and not on him. And when I knew I had to depend on him, I dug my heals in the ground and just willed myself to work harder. I am so dumb. I feel like the sheep caught in the torn bush and the Shepherd is trying to help me out. Instead I don't allow him and get myself caught deeper over and over again. Constantly, hurting myself. I lived in that thorn bush for about five months. I'm sad to admit it and I look back in shame.

However, once I moved out of that self-pitty. I realized how much I loved Grace. I mean I liked it through all the hard times....but it was my job and not my church home. I now absolutely LOVE it! This is my church and many have become like family. I love everyone on staff and we have a freaking awesome family ministry team! Everyone has an amazing heart to serve Christ and no one is better than anyone else.

The thing I love the most is this isn't a job for anyone on staff. This is a ministry to reach people for Christ and help them take their next steps towards him. No one's specialized ministry is more important and everyone is willing to help wherever needed.

This has been a very humbling six months. But I know, I am exactly where I need to be, in the center of God's will. It's the hardest, exciting, scariest, thing I've ever been a part of and I can't wait to see what He's going to do.

No comments: